You were down on Bristol, running errands like any other day. But slip and fall accidents can strike anywhere, by no fault of your own. But just because a shopkeepers negligence may have caused your spill doesn’t mean you’re automatically in line for compensation.
Accidents send nearly 30 million people to the emergency room every year. If you slip and fall at a business because of poor conditions, you may find yourself a part of that statistic. It can be hard to know what to do, but following the right steps could ensure you get help covering costs that arise.
Getting the help you need could hinge on your actions following the accident:
- Get medical treatment: You’ll want to make sure you get any medical attention you need right away, especially if it’s an emergency. Even if you aren’t immediately aware of a major injury, it doesn’t mean there isn’t one. This will also begin the trail linking your injury to the accident, so you can later prove the connection.
- Preserve evidence: Take photos and make notes as soon as possible after the accident. If the area is cleaned up or repaired before you get the opportunity, it could be harder to show the cause and effect at a later date. Making notes will also help you keep details straight, so there’s no confusion when you file a claim.
- Notify the owner: File a report with the owner or the property manager and request a copy. This will also help in making a paper trail, and the business can take steps to prevent any further accidents if they weren’t aware of the issue.
- Contact a personal injury attorney: Once you’ve laid the groundwork for your claim, it’s best to go to an expert in the field. A qualified personal injury attorney can tell you if you’ve got a viable claim, how to bolster your evidence and what further steps to take to increase your chances of an award.
- Follow your doctor’s orders: The steps will have you off to a great start, but keeping up with your medical treatments can be crucial to getting the help you need. You’ve gone through the work of showing the relationship between the fall and your injury, so keeping up with care could help to show the extent of your needs.
Get the medical help you need while tying your incident to someone’s negligence. Understanding the steps to take after a slip and fall accident could make the difference in getting compensation.