Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, we are open for business and accepting new cases. If you have been injured in an accident or have any estate or immigration questions, please do not hesitate to give us a call at 215-809-3882 or reach us by email.

Our thoughts are with all of those presently impacted by the Coronavirus. The health and safety of our employees, clients, and contacts continue to be our primary concern. Working remotely, we remain available and responsive to your legal needs. Updates will be posted on our website. We wish you continued good health.

Parents who are deported may be separated from their children

On Behalf of | Dec 20, 2017 | Immigration

Undocumented immigrants who have children may have added worries under the Trump administration. While the Obama administration focused its immigration enforcement efforts on people who committed crimes, the current administration is focusing on enforcing the immigration laws against everyone who is in the U.S. illegally.

This is problematic for parents who have children and who are deported. In many such cases, the parents are detained while their children are placed in the foster care system. The parents may then be forced to work through the foster care system in a second language while they are housed in detention centers or when they are in their home countries after they are deported.

Many parents have been separated from their children in this way, and some have had their parental rights terminated. In one case, a Guatemalan woman was deported in 2005, and her two children were placed in foster care. It took her five years of fighting her case before she was able to get her children back. People may be able to avoid this situation by designating a legal guardian for their kids. A guardian could then step in on behalf of the parents in the event of deportation.

Undocumented immigrants may want to talk to an immigration attorney about the potential options for remaining in the U.S. and working legally. An attorney can explain certain types of visas and help in the application process. Depending on the circumstances, you might be able to gain legal status and be placed on the path to becoming a permanent U.S. resident.