Guide to electrocution and how to avoid it
It is not fun to be electrocuted, and that is why people in Pennsylvania need to know how it happens and what habits to keep to avoid it.
It is not unusual for a Pennsylvania citizen to find him or herself in a situation that poses a safety risk. While the first thing that comes to mind to many when safety hazards are mentioned is burns, cuts, and slip and fall hazards, there are some hazards that are not always immediately noticeable, such as electrocution dangers. Even a task as simple as jumping a car battery could lead to an electric shock, causing a devastating injury. By knowing how electrocution happens and some strategies for avoiding it, people can reduce the risk of being electrocuted.
How does electrocution affect people?
The way in which the body responds to having an electrical current pass through it depends entirely on the strength of the current. A current of 10,000 or more milliamperes is enough to throw a person into cardiac arrest, though the heart can stop from as little as 1,000 milliamperes. Severe contractions of the muscles occur in the hundreds range, but even as little as 6 or more milliamperes can cause a painful shock.
How do people get shocked?
An electrical shock or electrocution occurs when somebody’s body forms a connection for an electrical current to flow through, also known as a circuit. Some examples of objects that provide an electric current which a person’s body can complete the path for include another conductor, an energized metal part, a live wire (if he or she is standing on the ground) or if he or she holds both wires of a circuit.
What can people do to avoid being shocked?
There are a lot of situations where a shock could occur, but could easily be avoided with a bit of foreknowledge, such as that obtained by reading the following list of examples:
· If a prong or tip has broken off of a power cord or extension cord, the cord should not be used again, and should be disposed of.
· Similarly, if a cord’s protective layer has been penetrated, the wires beneath may be exposed. The wire should not be used or “fixed” with electrical tape.
· Outlet cubes or splitters can be pulled out from a wall slightly over time, leading to overheating and a possible risk of fire. They are not safe to use for this reason.
· Connecting extension cords and power strips to one another can overload the amperage of one, or the switch to which everything is connected.
People should also make sure they are getting their products from reputable, officially certified sources.
Anyone in Pennsylvania who has had to handle the trauma of electrocution has probably also had to deal with some intense medical costs. It may be possible to get some help with this through much deserved legal compensation. Talk to a lawyer in the local area to see about potentially finding some representation.